The Day Before

Thank god for my boyfriend! It’s the evening before my procedure and he's so lush for taking time off work to drive me to London tonight. My admission time is at 7:30 am and I would have been crazy stressful getting to London for that time from Newcastle. He sourced and booked a hotel near the hospital with parking so it was perfect (London is crazy expensive but in the grand scheme of things it’s worth it to limit the stress). So I finish work the day before and call in on my friend Nikki at her salon NKbeauty (she opened for me) to help calm my nerves by fixing my brows pre procedure. Imagine no makeup for a few weeks - you at least want a nice brow! She even gave me a cute unicorn pjs pre-op prezzie too. I then headed home to collect my bags and head down to London – with my final supper being an obligatory McDonalds as it’s kind of a must for any long journey.

At this point your better half is supposed to keep you calm but I think he is ready for an emotional breakdown whereas I am just taking Snapchat selfies trying to get him into the new cat filter ( he wasn’t having any of it). So at this point I’m fine, excited just ready to get some beauty sleep.



A post shared by Amy (@amymyarhino) on

We arrived in London a little after midnight (I had to stop eating or drinking by this point which was fine) got to room and I was out for the count! I was that tired and knew I had to be up in a few hours so there was no time to have a sleepless night.

The Day Of!

As soon as my alarm went off at 6 am that was it - full panic and freak out ensued. We got up early as it was a 10 min walk to the hospital but I didn’t want to be rushing and wanted a slow walk but I was still getting all hot and bothered putting my stuff together. Google Maps started playing up and I thought I was going to lose it. It was so weird as if every bit of anxiety was hitting me all at once. As soon as we made it to the hospital, I gave myself 5 mins outside just to calm myself as there's nothing worse than walking into something up a height. The hospital surroundings are beautiful and it was a chilly crisp bright morning so it was just nice to cool and take a breath.


Arrived!!! @myacosmeticsurgery ????????

A post shared by Amy (@amymyarhino) on

Well this was when you joined me! LIVE!! I knew what I was getting into given my job and the fact that I had wanted to do it and share this full journey with you. At 7:30 am with no makeup live to MYA took me (and especially my boyfriend) sideways who hadn’t had a coffee and was more nervous that I have ever seen anyone (I think he just cares about me and fact I was having an op). I was fine after I got into the swing of things and Pamina who filmed is a close friend as well as a colleague so it was like having a friend in the room. She's the sort of friend that isn’t scared to take ugly pics of you and post them online. We initially sat in the huge MYA waiting area at the MYA clinic/Hospital in London where other ladies were stat waiting too. I had an idea I was first on the list but I was called up by one of the ward nurses really quick.

Then I was in my beautiful room over looking Fitzroy square. The whole thing flew past me and I didn’t really have time to worry about anything. Although it’s hard to wee for a pregnancy test when you are being live was thankfully negative, much to mine and my new bf’s relief.

Once I got into my paper pants (one size fits all) and gown, I was seen by the anaesthetist, nurses and then Dr Andrea who took some pre op photos of his own. Just a heads up, don’t ask to look at them as you won’t look great and I looked like Gollum after a night out.

Then next thing I know it’s off into the lift for my op. It sounds strange but the room where they put you to sleep was so nice, in my head I thought it would be scary but it was really calming. It was cool (I am always hot) so it made me feel comfortable hopping onto the bed where the anaesthetist (who was distractedly attractive - in a man of power and knowledge kind of way) started his magic. I didn’t feel a thing. However, I was later informed that I was chatty Annie taking my mask off to ask the names of the staff in the room.

Roll on a few hours later and I am back in my room wrapped up feeling like I have the worst cold and struggling to keep me eyes open I felt that tired. It's so strange when after an operation you have no sense of time or where you are - just wanted to sleep. I didn’t have any real pain that I can remember, I remember finding it weird to swallow and just wanted to sleep. I don’t even remember Pamina filming me or my little “I’m fine speech for Snapchat”.

A few hours had past and my bf was back in the room. I remember being sick a couple of times which was caused by the anaesthetic and the blood I had swallowed during the op. I knew I would be sick as I was after my last operations. I was exactly the same even with the anti-sickness they supplied. But the funniest thing was my bf went to pass me a tray to be sick in and as he picked one up, I had already been sick in and swilled himself and half the room – I was creased but karma soon kicked in as laughing isn’t fun with stitches in your nose.

I spent the night in hospital and was regularly woken up for my blood pressure and asked if I needed anything or if I was hungry. It was lush; I felt so well looked after. I thought I would be starving as I normally eat like a pig and am highly addicted to sugar but I couldn’t think of anything worse as I just wanted to sleep. That being said, I did manage some toast for breakfast but it had to be cut into tiny bits as it was hard to chew. You have a plastic cast across your nose and another dressing under your nostrils that I would describe as tissue and tape to catch any drips that covers your top lip. Straws are therefore a Godsend and drinking out of a glass just wouldn’t slide.

I left the hospital looking rather battered as my black eyes had started to form about 9.30 am for my long journey back to Newcastle. Word of advice if you are traveling any distance in a car, get yourself a v-pillow (those pregnancy pillow things) it was the best thing.

Day by Day

Below are my brief descriptions of life for the first week following my procedure. Everyone is different so this is my personal experience:

Day 1 – I am one puffy, sick, black-eyed panda! Sleep was my friend and food was not.

Day 2  – I am one sickly panda. Waved bye bye to my rotten painkillers and the relief of packing being removed was the best. People say it’s the worst part but I disagree unless my nurse has the hands of God – shout out to Louise in Newcastle.

Day 3 – I am the post-op painkiller Pro - two every 4 hours and a thousand episodes of the Kardashians. I was still propped up in bed.

Day 4 – I am a spaced out hamster. The bruising had decided to venture south from my eyes to my cheeks and took the puffiness with it. Living off ice-lollies and apple juice.

Day 5 – I continue to sound like I am underwater and still haven't really got my appetite back. Also don’t be alarmed by the stuff dripping out of your nose, it's normal even if it is highly irritating.

Day 6 – You start getting visitors and talking. Trying to smile causes more drippage but you feel more human after a hair wash.

Day 7 – See you later cast/split - it’s been emotional. Not going to lie, I was way more scared having this off and my first lot of stitches out than the op but it was a breeze. Not the most comfortable but not bad.

Day 7 evening – I am an emotional mess!!! No one tells you this part until you speak to others that have also had their nose done. I am happy with my nose and fully prepared that I have a long way to go but for some reason you feel disconnected in your mind - nothing to do with your physical appearance. I was crying at everything, blubbering at the TV and I think it was the adverts - just a weird sense of anxiety for no reason (apparently normal). I think it’s the 'not feeling yourself' thing: unable to gym (this calms me) unable to socialise, talk normal, breathe normal and look normal. It was taking its toll on my mindset but it’s a case of trying to talk some sense into yourself or talk to others. This is where my insta rhino girls really helped me and friends I know who have also had the op (stay sane and talk to someone).

Day 8 – Your safety blanket is gone and now you just have a puffy, greasy but dry face that you still can’t wash properly or put makeup on. Fun. But you have passed the 1 week mark and you are feeling positive.

Day 9 – I’m like that kid you see that is covered in snot that sits in the corner. My nose is loving to drip but I just want to keep it clean but I can't think of anything worse than touching my nose (infection and fear) so I let it drip. Also remaining stitches look like nose hair – you just need to live with it for now.

Day 10 – I am slowly seeing my cheek bones (I think). Profile looks great, super swollen still but getting some lovely feedback from posting before and after pictures already. Roll on the next lot of sticthes being removed and putting makeup on (not yet obvs).

So stay tuned, I'm going to be writing more blogs and obviously keep updating my Insta journey so make sure you follow that! What do you think of the new nose??