1 day post-op rhinoplasty – how much swelling Started by: slb81

• Author
    0p
    Menu

Hey guys! Hope you’re all well. I had open rhino with Dr Gonschior yesterday and feel ok (though obviously

Menu

Hi sian, how are you feeling? Cant see all of your post above! 🙂

laulau
    0p
    Menu

Hi Sian

How did the op go? How are you feeling?..x

slb81
    0p
    Menu

Lol sorry, not sure what happened with my post! I’ll try again!… I had open rhino with Dr G yesterday morning at Highgate. It’s such a nice hospital, with lovely nursing staff, they make you feel so comfortable and looked after! I was really nervous but they were so warm and caring and really put me at ease. Dr G is clearly the favourite rhino surgeon there, several of the nurses said to me ‘off the record’ (lol!) that he’s the one they would all go with if they had it done, he’s really highly regarded! So that reassured me; even though I researched for a long time and had 4 different consultations (1 free (HMG) and 3 paid for – Dr Chout, Peter Arnstein from the Extreme Makeover UK programme, and Dr G) I was still having second thoughts even the day before, thinking ‘am I doing the right thing, what if I end up with a result I’m not happy with’, etc etc! But I kept reminding myself how much research I’d done before choosing Mr Gonschior and how long I’d wanted to have it done. Really, when I met him, I just knew he was the right choice, with how in depth he went and how many questions he asked me. It was obvious he has such a passion for what he does and genuinely cares about giving you what you want, but at the same time he’s very realistic and honest in telling you what he can and can’t achieve, and in making you aware of all the risks as well as the benefits. I went in as a day case cos Mr G said there’s not much point spending the extra £500 it costs to stay the night at the hospital, me and my boyfriend stayed at the Holiday Inn Golders Green which was a short cab ride from the hospital and was perfectly adequate for getting a night’s sleep (well, for my boyfriend it was! I could only sleep for a few hours at a time cos of sleeping propped up and feeling all weird, and what with all the excitement and nerves of the day!) We were ready to leave at 8pm, after some practice walking up and down the hallway to make sure I didn’t faint going outside to get in the taxi, the nurse suggested it and I didn’t realise how light-headed I was til I did the practice walk in the hall. Wouldn’t have been great to faint and fall over onto the new schnoz! A V-pillow is a godsend, I’m so glad some forum members recommended getting one. I got one from Asda for £7, it came with a pillowcase and is so comfortable! It makes a big difference to you post-op when you’re feeling ropey! 1 day in and I feel ok (though obviously quite uncomfortable!) and haven’t had any pain, which surprised me cos even though people had said it wasn’t painful, I still thought it was going to hurt like hell! But I’m just all stuffy and swollen. I had blurry vision for half an hour after the op cos they put ointment in to stop your eyes drying during the op, and I had a bad headache and sore throat which still hurts today, hurts to swallow which doesn’t make eating fun (and the drip pad gets in the way a bit!) But overall I expected to feel worse! I think I’m going to like the result, though it’s really difficult to tell through all the bruising and swelling. My nostrils look cute and neat but I think the splint makes my nose look like it’s a bit pointy, I hope that’s the splint and not the shape of my new nose! From the underneath (ie ‘up the nose’ view) it’s a triangle shape, looks a bit Michael Jackson-esque!! Is that what everyone’s nose looks like in a splint?? Please put my mind at rest someone! 🙂 Also another question, I’ve got so much swelling, all the way up to my forehead in a column shape between my eyebrows! Is that normal? There’s so much swelling that my head feels like it could burst, loads of pressure, and the swelling under my eyes is bulging out above the plaster, my eyes are only able to open half way. But the bruising has turned from black to dark red overnight, so hopefully it’s going in the right direction. Didn’t realise how much swelling and bruising there’d be! But maybe it’s because I had open, so more invasive than closed rhino. For info for anyone looking into it, I paid £5450 as a day case for open rhino with Dr G, and was able to get an op less than a month after my consultation with him in late January. I’d read that he’s very booked up so maybe I got lucky with a cancellation, or maybe it’s cos I went with him privately rather than through MYA (which I did by accident, found his own website & booked a consult before I realised he worked for MYA too!) He said the ops with him cost the same whether you go via MYA or private, which is good to know. I haven’t posted any pics up yet but will do so once I have the cast off, if I’m happy with it obvs! So nervous about seeing it! 11 days to go… Sorry for the v long post! S xx

slb81
    0p
    Menu

PS apologies for no paragraphs in that post, my tablet’s playing up!! x

Anonymous
    -2p
    Menu

Omg, what an amazing post. Thanks so much. Makes me want mine doing NOW! Happy healing Hun, bet you can’t wait to see your gorgeous new nose. Please keep taking pic s so we can see the progress. Lots of love x x s

slb81
    0p
    Menu

Thanks hun! I look like an alien right now with the swelling, I’m taking pics daily, will be funny at some point to look back and see my distorted Day 1 face! 🙂 Roll on the healing… I need it! xx

laulau
    0p
    Menu

Hello hun

So gald it went well for you. Great post from you too. Cute nostrils sounds like a good sign to me. Get tonnes and tonnes of rest and that boyfriend looking after you. Keep us updated and I can’t wait to see pics too..x

slb81
    0p
    Menu

Thanks Laulau will do! 🙂 Swelling is still awful today too, I’ve been doing some housework this morning and think that might not be the best thing for my swollen face so putting my feet up for the rest of the day 😉 I actually managed to sleep for 5 hrs straight last night so that was good, the first night after surgery I only slept for about two & a half hrs and then another hour in the early morning, it’s so weird having all this on your face and not being able to lay down fully! Hopefully it will all be worth it though.

I was looking at my nose earlier when I changed my drip pad, and it struck me that it looks like there’s quite a big space between my top lip and my nose now, maybe it just looks weird cos of the tape pulling my face in all directIons and my mutant swellings, lol, but I started to worry in case I’m going to look ‘piggy’ with my new nose… But my tip drooped slightly before so I guess I got used to the look of that, and maybe I just need to adjust to having a nose that’s different proportions now. I know I shouldn’t be paying any attentIon to what it looks like as everyone says your nose at this early stage bears no resemblance to what you’re going to get, but it’s hard to not stand in front of the mirror and try to analyse what’s going on underneath the splint! Patience is a virtue though eh … x

laulau
    0p
    Menu

Ahh hun I’m sure it’s all going to look beautiful when the cast comes off. I will be the same as you though analysing my nose every day.
    How’s the swelling doing today?
    And step away from the hoover and duster…you don’t want to have a sneezing fit babe…x

slb81
    0p
    Menu

Lol yeah, I’ve sneezed a few times and Dr G said to sneeze ‘through your mouth’ rather than normally, so it doesn’t damage the nose, so each time I sneeze I’m really scared in case I accidentally sneeze the wrong way! Can’t wait to be fully healed… many months yet though probably. My swelling has been bad and my face still looks a bit weird, it’s gradually going down though, still definitely got some swelling left on my cheeks, around my eyes and between my eyebrows though. Hope it’s gone by Weds, don’t want to go to have my stitches out looking like a freak! 😉
    Still got red bruising under my eyes but the other bruising (around my eyes) has turned yellow and is fading. Oh and I’ve got a small red burst blood vessel on the whites of one of my eyes too, I really must have had a bashing, looking extremely attractive right now haha! So glad I made absolutely no plans for this week, full on hibernation mode. Gutted actually cos it looks really nice outside! x

laulau
    0p
    Menu

Eeek I normally have a daily sneezing fit so I’m thinking of taking antihisthemenes after my op to try and stop that. I’ve got my pre-op on friday so I’m going to ask the nurse if that will be ok to do that. I’ll let you know what they say.
    Wow that week has gone really quick. When are you having the splint off?
    I bet every day you see little changes to your healing process in the right way…its all exciting. Keep resting hun. Good luck for tomorrow
    xx

Jo
    0p
    Menu

Reading through this forum is making me feel at ease in choosing to get a consultation with Mya ~ fact, can’t wait for tomorrow to come :^)

Jo
    0p
    Menu

Had my iniital consultation and have my surgeon consultation on Wednesday, which is such a quick turn around ~ anyways, nice to hear about a good op going so well ~ thanks :^)

Misfion 3
    3p
    Menu

@Jo please keep us updated with how your consultation goes xxx

Jo
    0p
    Menu

Thanks Misfion ~ will do… not til around 5.45… trying to keep calm about it ~ though afterwards Ill probably be wondering what all the worry was about..LOL! Isn’ that how it always goes :^)

Janet
    0p
    Menu

Good to gear all went well Sian. Happy helping. X

Jo
    0p
    Menu

Opppps apologies for the double post… i thought I was responding to another (different) post…. blimey you wouldn’t think I worked in I.T. eh!!!! LOL! :^) x

Misfion 3
    3p
    Menu

@Jo I am so pleased for you, you’re absolutely buzzing hee hee xxx Not long now – Yay!!! Keep me updated and I’ll let you know how I am getting on xxx

Jo
    0p
    Menu

Yep buzzing pretty much sums it up.. my lovely PC Claudia has now booked me for my pre op consult for Monday!!!! This woman is so on the ball, just didn’t realise how quick everything goes… not that im complaining, when I make a decision about something I like to get it all done and sorted… so very happy 🙂 Hope everything is going good with you Misfion x

You must log in to reply to this topic.

Arrange a free consultation

Need some help?

Start a live chat session with one of our expert advisors.

Start Chat

Don't notify me about this again.