1 DPO advice please! Started by: Steph

• Author
    13p
    Menu

Hi everyone had surgery yesterday afternoon and ended up being quite sick although hopefully that’s behind me now.

I am definitely struggling with the pain and tugging when sitting myself up and moving to the toilet. How did you all manage?? Any tips for moving around or helping the pain without strong painkillers?

I had unders so was expecting pain but it’s still not very nice. Leaving hospital around 10am this morning and dreading sitting in the car on the way home. xxx

Claire 59
    59p
    Menu

Ask for pain relief for to take befor you start you traveling home to keep any pain down.
    Ice packs are the god send.
    Do you have anyone at home who can help you out for a bit. Xx

Steph 13
    13p
    Menu

@83kelly yeah my fiancé will be at home with me today so he can help me, he’s back to work tomorrow though.
    I have ice packs at home waiting for me, hope they help.

Feeling now like I can’t believe I’ve brought this upon myself!!

Libby 5
    5p
    Menu

Wedge yourself in the car with you v pillow behind you definitely helped with my journey home in my partners ridiculously bouncy car for a 17 year old ????????

Anonymous
    0p
    Menu

Yes same as Libby a pillow between you and seat belt is a must but plenty of fresh air in car & water to sip , ask your partner to open/ shut doors. Only non medical pain relief is loads of ice packs I would say these are a god send . I needed a sick bowl way home as car motion made me sick . Good luck x

Steph 13
    13p
    Menu

@mzewhite @josey thanks so much ladies used the pillow in the car although there were still a few rough bumps it seemed to help loads!! Sitting at home with my ice pack now, don’t plan on moving anywhere today apart from when I need a wee! xx

Anonymous
    4p
    Menu

Sorry to hear you had sickness but hopefully you are on the mend Hun. The first few days will be trickier but it will soon get easier I promise. I also had the ‘what have I done to myself’ thoughts, completely normal – just remind yourself how much you’ve wanted this! 🙂

Bum shuffling will become a key move, I read somewhere to put your arms loosely on your chest if you can to avoid you using your arms to pull yourself up. I’ve read that ice helps., I only tried it once and it didn’t do much for me but you may need to check with your nurse/surgeon as some people get told not to use it.

Rest but try and get up at intervals to keep mobile. Have your fiancé put things you need within reach and try as much as you can to to enjoy the rest for a few days. It WILL be worth it! 🙂 xx

Steph 13
    13p
    Menu

@clare141 thank you! Trying to think that this time next week I’ll be over the worst of it. He has set me up with lots nearby although I’m still struggling to reach things so taking it super slow. Scared to eat in case I’m sick, had a piece of toast this morning but think I should probably try another one soon xx

Anonymous
    4p
    Menu

@steph-88 How have you got on today? hope you’ve managed to get past the sickness? Yes definitely, even by day 5 you’ll start noticing a big difference. I managed to get out for an hour or so on that day .. went for a coffee and cake ( fell straight asleep when I got back lol!) and felt so good to get out! Days 7+ you will really notice a big difference. Hang on in there hunni. I’m 2 weeks today and apart from morning boob I feel pretty much normal! Xx

Steph 13
    13p
    Menu

@clare141 I’m glad to hear that it’s giving me hope that I won’t be feeling like this for long!!

Keeping on top of painkillers, wish the stronger ones didn’t make me sick as I feel like I could be doing with them. Haven’t managed to eat all that much not up to it, slice of toast for breakfast, slice of toast for dinner and about three spoons of yoghurt.
    Currently in bed hoping I’ll get some sleep but feeling a bit sick again, could be a long night 🙁 xx

Anonymous
    4p
    Menu

I know you may not want to but can you try cutting them down (the strong ones)? I was fine with codeine whilst I was at hospital as I was so drowsy all the time anyway from all the morphine I’d been given, but when at home they just made me feel rubbish. Not sick but really tired,blurry vision etc. Nurse recommended as I’m small that I take 1 instead of 2 alongside my 2 paracetamol, I did but still had these symptoms. In the end I only took codeine at night and only when I really had to! I didn’t find there was much of a difference between taking it and not to be honest. Might be worth a try if you think you can cope? Xxx

Steph 13
    13p
    Menu

@clare141 I’ve stopped them now after speaking with nurse so just basic painkillers for me now. Feeling a bit light headed and still sore when I move around but having a nice little spell right now of feeling not too bad 🙂 hope this lasts and isn’t just a fluke haha. How are you keeping? Xx

You must log in to reply to this topic.

Arrange a free consultation

Need some help?

Start a live chat session with one of our expert advisors.

Start Chat

Don't notify me about this again.