19 and need advice! Started by: Lily

• Author
    0p
    Menu

So I’m thinking of getting a breast enlargement in the next year or so, so I’ll be 20. I know they don’t stop growing till 21, but I’m really not expecting a miracle in the next year as they haven’t grown since around 13 and I personally hate the thought of being so flat chested for much longer. I live in a house share and although I am young the financial side of the procedure isn’t a problem, I have done so much research for the past few years but the only thing stopping me is telling my dad. I have little to no contact with my mum and my dad is very anti-everything (including piercings and tattoos that I’ve hid and have gone unnoticed) I am not worried about him noticing as I tend to cover up around my family, my only worry is that if something was to go wrong under the procedure that he would find out which would cause a massive issue in my family as they all strongly have the same views. My younger sister, friends, boyfriend and even his family know but I can’t bring myself to have this ongoing argument with my dad, yet I would feel guilty if I didn’t? It makes me nervous to read stories of patients telling their mum/dad when I know I will not have any support, what should I do?
    Please tell me your opinions/stories!
    Thank you x

Madison 1
    1p
    Menu

I had one done I’m also 19 I’m being very quiet about mine. I waited and waited and then finally did it it’s 100% worth it but you need to be able to stay with someone for at least 2 weeks it’s hard to care for yourself I had mine done a week ago

Koral 42
    42p
    Menu
    +1

Don’t let it put you off it’s the best thing I ever did … knowing you don’t have to live with such a negative view of your body … there defently done with growing … no need to tell him until your going to actual appointments make it clear your 100% sure and your so self conscious your going for a natural size regardless of what you actually want I have 775 and I can still cover them easy … my biggest regret was wasting so much time so go for it 🙂 x

Amy 3
    3p
    Menu

I’m 26, haven’t told any of my family about it, same as you i don’t think anybody will notice! Praying nothing goes wrong but if it does then it’s kinda too late, it’s already done xx

Phoebe 44
    44p
    Menu

Hi lily, I am 22 and having mine done next Tuesday. I am lucky in that my parents have gradually come to understand and be fine with my decision, since I started thinking about it seriously when I was 19-20. I went to the initial clinic appointments alone and then told my parents what I was looking into doing. They brushed it off at first, but then my mum recalled how upset I was going through puberty (hating shopping, refusing to wear a bikini on family holidays) and when I told her how much I still dislike my body, and that it’s stopping me enjoying life. she really came around. And my dad also realised how upset I was and he came around too and now they have supported me both emotionally and financially. Really sorry that you feel like you can’t tell your dad 🙁 but like others have said, I’m expecting the recovery period to be tricky in terms of how much physical stuff you can do and you’re going to need someone that can chaperone you after surgery, look after you and help you with menial stuff for the first few weeks at least, who can help you get to and from your post-op examinations, from what I’ve been told. And like you said, if some complication arose…. I don’t know if your boyfriend/other family member can be this person instead of your dad. It’s a hard subject to address but do you think you could ever change his feelings towards surgery? If you poured your heart out and told him how much it upset you and how much you think it could change your life, do you think he would start to soften? I think some parents realise that they can’t stop you in the end, especially if you’re financially able to do it yourself without his help, and they have to come to terms with it. Maybe if you went to the initial consultation and then informed him of your plans, what would he say?

Jaclyn 41
    41p
    Menu

I’m 40 this year and was so worried about telling my grandparent. I didn’t tell them until after the surgery and when I did they completely understood and were actually really happy for me. The rest of my family don’t know because it’s not their business.
    It’s my body and my money.
    I regret not having mine done 20 years ago!
    Regardless of your age, people will have opinions. Some of which are really positive!
    When you are 100% and all booked you should try tell your dad. Just explain it’s for your and nobody else and have been wanting for a long time. Good luck x

You must log in to reply to this topic.

Arrange a free consultation

Need some help?

Start a live chat session with one of our expert advisors.

Start Chat

Don't notify me about this again.